Week 9 Post - LAN troubleshooting

Generally speaking, there are four common means of getting internet service. You can receive internet through Fiber, cable, DSL, and satellite services. Fiber is exactly as it sounds, data travels through a fiber optic cable. Cable internet uses the same cabling that supplies your TV programs. DSL internet uses a phone line, and satellite internet travels by Ku band frequencies.

In any case, losing your internet connection is a pain and a terrifying experience if you have never had to troubleshoot it. In my experience, it is one of four things that cause me to lose internet. I could accidentally unplug the Ethernet cable, the wireless dongle turns off, the cable modem (or router) needs to be rebooted, or the provider is having issues.

Although, a few years ago I moved to a different home. We purchased cable internet, but could not connect to the internet. Come to find out, the line that came from the phone pole to the house was the original line from the early 90's. fortunately, that was a one-off problem and is not a recurring issue.

My troubleshooting process is generally the same every time. Did I unplug a cable? If not, does my phone have internet? If my phone is not connected, that means it is a problem with the modem (or router) or the service. If my phone does have internet, I know that the problem is somewhere between the modem (or router) and the computer.

Other than increasing efficiency, it doesn't really matter were you start. You can also go into your network settings, disable the internet, and re-enable it. If that doesn't work, I would log into the device's IP address to see if you can connect. If you cannot log in, you might have found your problem. Was your phone really using WiFi or was it accessing data through the cellular antenna? You can unplug the modem (or router) for a few seconds, which is usually from 10 seconds to a 1 minute, and plug it back in. Look at that! you just got your internet back. If you get the bad end of the stick, you will have to do a little more in-depth troubleshooting.



Comments